oswald street, glasgow history

The latter, from the Latin schidius, meaning cleft or split, is an old Scotch term signifying where the road split or divided. During a fanatical outburst in February 1780, the Protestants wrecked his place, and smashed his crockery. The name is derived from two Gaelic words signifying the stream or pool haunted by wolves; and doubtless in the olden time quadrupeds of this description were plentiful in the locale. SAINT NINIAN STREET is formed upon Saint Ninian's Croft. Previous to 1249 an hospital was erected here for the maintenance of the old people of both sexes. money to purchase this estate; and in the garden attached to the house he built a stone seat, mounted with pinnacles overhead, to represent the Paisley, steeple, and he used to sit there and ponder on his fall, which he said had been the cause of his rise. See property details on Zoopla or browse all our range of properties in Oswald Street, Glasgow G1. NUNEATON STREET was formed on the property of the late George Wilson, coalmaster, and his widow, who had gone to reside in Nuneaton, Warwickshire, thought so much of it that she named the new street for it. A ballad in this volume, entitled "Woman’s Truth," contains the word "rattoun," as applied to and meaning a woman. google_ad_client = "pub-8512019970747605"; Tel: 0141 204 3333. It is the northern terminus of the West Coast Main Line (397 miles (640 km) north of London Euston), and for inter-city services between Glasgow and England. “When we posted a story about Wilson’s Zoo, a menagerie which once occupied a now-vanished church in Oswald Street, we heard possibly the most bizarre story we’ve ever been sent. WINDMILL CROFT. Oswald Street Glasgow The Cut Development, Glasgow, Scotland Location: between Oswald Street and Robertson Street This 12-storey residential development, for client Furlong City, has an estimated cost of approx. PLAYFAIR STREET is formed on part of the lands of Dalmarnock, and here for many years a family of that name resided in a mansion near the bridge. He was a Frenchman and a Roman Catholic. There’s plenty to grab your attention – from the rattle of a […] SWORD STREET is named for James Sword, through whose land of Annfield it was formed. James Oswald was Glaswegian merchant and Member of Parliament representing Glasgow back in the 18th century. It is really wonderful the fertility of brain possessed by some pundits. It is a corruption of the Scotch word "sauchiehaugh," and is quite apart from its meaning. PRESTON STREET (off London Road) was named for John Preston, who had a rope walk there during the greater part of last century. He built the Virginia Mansion, which stood at the north end, the site of which is now occupied by the Union Bank. SAINT VINCENT STREET, to commemorate the victory of Sir John Jervis, on February 15th, 1797, off Cape Saint Vincent. STOCKWELL STREET derives the name from a well which stood on the east side, about half way down the street, and was wrought with the old-fashioned wood stock, which vanished with the introduction of the iron lever. Oswald Street (Bridgeton) was formed on ground pertaining to Barrowfield Spinning Factory, which was owned by the same gentleman, who is deservedly commemorated by a statue at the north-east corner of George Square. /* 160x600, created 30/10/08 */ Bridge Street Station 0.3 miles. It stood till 1749. SAINT MUNGO STREET (off Gallowgate Street) is nearly opposite the Dovehill, where in ancient times stood the chapel and yard of Little Saint Mungo, which was endowed by David Cunningham, Arch-Deacon of Argyle in 1500. This building, when erected, had apparently faced the east, as there was a built-up arched doorway that had been garnished with pilasters in the back wall, which fronted a small yard that intervened between it and a tenement in Saint Enoch Wynd. TUREEN STREET. His statue is in the north east corner of George Square in line with the Cenotaph; Oswald Street in the city centre is named after him. Address for John Ross (Glasgow) p. 492 Listed under Marble Cutters. , The average price for property in Oswald Street stood at £153,072 in December 2020. WASHINGTON STREET was named by Miss Mary Reid, the proprietrix of the ground on which it was formed, in honour of the founder of American Independence, in accordance with her political principles. The ground was feued off and built upon, but the villa and cottages one of the latter having quaint diamond-shaped window panes, remained in a dilapidated condition till within the last fifty years. //-->, The Origin And History Of Glasgow Streets. google_color_bg = "FFFFFF"; Plantation was next held by William Maclean, who got possession in 1828. 1991. About 1650 the name was changed, when it became the market for salt. 301 Argyle Street, Glasgow. OSWALD STREET (Bridgeton) was formed on ground pertaining to Barrowfield Spinning Factory, which was owned by the same gentleman, who is deservedly commemorated by a statue at the north-east corner of George Square. Sir George Elphinston, whose lands extended westwards from Gorbals to Kinning House Burn, erected here, near the foot of West Street, a windmill for the use of his tenants. WISHART STREET, named in honour of Robert Wishart, a patriotic Bishop, who was the firm friend of Wallace and Bruce, and he did not scruple at times to throw aside his vestments and, buckling on his armour, take the field with his countrymen against the Saxon invader. PEEL STREET, named in honour of Sir Robert Peel, who passed the Reform Bill of 1832. This flat is located at 23 Oswald Street, Glasgow G1 4PE and has an estimated current value of £145,000. A Mr. Bagnal had a pottery here who made a speciality in the manufacture of tureens; hence the name. The roof of the portico of Saint Andrew's Church, which stands in the centre, contains the first example in Scotland of what is known in architecture as the flat arch, and it was looked upon as a marvel at the time. Tickets cost £10 - £30 and the journey takes 49 min. Had this been a holy cross to the memory of a saint or bishop, the indictment would have mentioned it, and the dignitaries of the Church would most likely have taken the punishment in hand, or at least have had a say in it, but the Church is silent, and the Cross is clearly stated to belong to the town, and, standing in the position it did, points almost indubitably to it being the Town Cross. WHITEVALE STREET was named in compliment after Whitehill House. (In regard to the historical argument, see Bridgeton.) This 2 bed flat is located at 21 Oswald Street, Glasgow G1 4PE and has an estimated current value of £124,000. He had previously been Archdeacon of Lothian, and was one of the Regency on the death of Alexander the Third. STRUTHERS STREET was named for Robert Struthers, brewer who was the first Provost of Calton. It was for many years a semi-private street, with a gate at the end of it. It was built for Glasgow Corporation in 1926-1927 and was designed by Thomas Somers Glasgow's Master of Work and City Engineer, assisted by Thomas Gilchrist Gilmour. WODDROP STREET is formed on the lands of Dalmarnock, and named for the Superiors who were among the original portioners of Glasgow. Being situated on the ridge of a hill, with a southern exposure, which guaranteed a dry site for dwellings, and with the gardens of the Deanery spread out on the slope below, it certainly was the most attractive street in the town, and as such would naturally become the favourite parade of the ladies, hence the name. Overnewton Street. operation till well on in last century, reached the entire length, crossing Jamaica Street in an overhead gallery. PHOENIX PARK is formed on the site of the Phoenix Foundry, which was carried on for many years by Thomas Edington & Sons. It had all the appearance of having been a conventual or monastic institute, and from this fact, and its contiguity to the square, may have arisen the statement as to the existence of a previous church; and the only reason that can be ascribed for this ancient mass of stone and lime having been overlooked by local archaeologists is from the fact that it was the back of the building which fronted the lane, the front, which presented its only striking architectural feature, being shut out from public view. The first Unitarian Chapel in the city was in this street, on the site now occupied by the office of the Weekly Mail the entrance to the church being by a stair in front. Go to BARR website . STIRLING STREET (City), opened 1797, and named for the senior partner of William Stirling & Son. For this considerate treatment he was fortunately endemnified by the authorities. The name arises from a row of silver firs which bordered the Camlachie Burn, which formed the south-east boundary of the property. Piccadilly Street, after the thoroughfare of that name in London, which got its title from a tailor named Higgins, who had introduced piccadille, a French term for a kind of trimming set Thomas Somers also designed the new bridge over the Clyde at Oswald Street, known as the King George V Bridge, which was also declared open by King George V on the same day, 12 July 1927. From his name originated the title of "peeler," as applied to the police; and from the interest he took in the cause of Orangeism, the irrepressible Dan frequently prefaced his attacks upon him in Parliament by addressing him as his friend "orange peel.". Named after tobacco merchant Andrew Speirs… It was the western boundary of this gentleman’s property, which extended eastward to Stockwell Street, and the rope walk, which was in operation till well on in last century, reached the entire length, crossing Jamaica Street in an overhead gallery. OSWALD STREET (City), opened 1817, is named for James Oswald of Shieldhall. It was formed on the property of Mr. McCall, a zealous loyalist. View on a map. Development History 14 June 2013: Nominated for the Register by a member of the public as long term disused and boarded up. PORTLAND STREET, opened 1802, was named in honour of the Duke of Portland, then a leading Cabinet Minister. UNION STREET was called Union Place till Gordon Street was opened in 1802. He and James Ewing of Strathleven represented the City in Parliament after the Reform Bill of 1832. Oswald Street (Bridgeton) was formed on ground pertaining to Barrowfield Spinning Factory, which was owned by the same gentleman, who is deservedly commemorated by a statue at the north-east corner of George Square. This anglicising of Scotch words by ignorant and conceited persons is very common, and leads to frequent error. 2 bed flat to rent in Oswald Street, Glasgow G1, renting for £1,150 pcm from Glasgow City Flats. WEST STREET (Calton) formed the western boundary of the lands which lay between Mile-end and Broomward. They had previously been' occupied as a farm, and the steading, with out-houses, which formed a square near the south end of what is now Silvergrove Street, was converted into small houses by Mr. Ure, entry to which was got by a slap or lane at the south-west corner of Duncan St, which adjoins, and this isolated little hamlet was for many years known as The Grove. The old mansion, still standing, smoke-begrimed and weird-like, is used as a store, and in appearance belies its name. google_ad_width = 468; Sources. google_ad_height = 60; When Silvergrove Street came to be formed they were swept away. 42 Oswald Street, Glasgow. The name arose from a wooden cross which stood near the spot where the bye-road to the Clyde, now Finnieston Street, branched off from the main highway leading from the Bishop’s Castle to Partick. A Clyde Port Authority, 16 Robertson Street, Glasgow Glasgow B Iron Gate, George V Bridge, Glasgow Glasgow C 41 Oswald Street, Glasgow Glasgow B Warehouse, 60, 62, 64 Robertson Street, Glasgow Glasgow B 9 Midland Street, Glasgow Glasgow B 42, 44 Jamaica Street, Glasgow Glasgow A 71, 73, 75 Robertson Street, Glasgow Overnewton Street is formed on the lands of that name, which was the patrimonial estate of Walter Gibson, who was Provost of the town in 1688. Speirs Wharf. This property having been acquired by the Clyde Trustees, Mr. Maclean was once more on the move, and having built a spacious villa on the neighbouring estate of Dumbreck he bestowed on it the title of Craigiehall, and here then he decided till his death, which occurred some years since. SAINT ENOCH SQUARE was opened in 1782, the first church and the present steeple having been erected two years prior. 2 bedroom flat for sale in Oswald Street, Glasgow, G1 £179,995. From the last it was acquired by purchase early in last century by the late James Davidson; but he, having built a residence at Wemyss Bay, resided mostly there, and Ruchill House was long tenanted by the late J.H. WILLIAM STREET (Anderston) is named after a son of William Gillespie of Wellfield, through which lands this street was formed. It was laid off for feuing by John Gardner, optician, who was the associate and friend of James Watt. google_ad_slot = "5825456822"; PARTICK, of old Perdyec, from the Gaelic aper dhu ec, meaning the place at the confluence or mouth of the dark river. I checked the 1927 Glasgow Directory, which is accessible online, and there is a listing for a James Swanson, Restauranteur, at 217 Argyle Street, which would place it on the South side of the street between Jamaica Street and Oswald Street, very close to the Jamaica Street corner. Marketed by Aris Property, Glasgow google_ad_height = 600; Oxford Street. He and James Ewing of Strathleven represented the City in Parliament after the Reform Bill of 1832. The star of the ‘zoo’, which used to house laughing hyenas, baboons, and all sorts of other animals, was a lion, which lived in a cage at the top of the building. He died in 1824. NICHOLAS STREET was formed on the site of St. Nicholas Hospital, which was founded in 1450. The eastern end of this street, from Buchanan Street to West Nile Street, was previously called Cathcart Street. google_color_url = "304625"; WALKINSHAW STREET. POLLOKSHIELDS, WESTER SHIELDS, SHIELDHALL, and SHIELDMUIR are all from a word signifying a bield or place of shelter. WARROCH STREET is named for the junior partner of Murdoch, Warroch & Co., who had a brewery here in 1765. THOMSON STREET (off Duke Street), after Bailie John Thomson of Annfield Pottery. This page was last edited on 26 December 2020, at 21:35. SALTMARKET STREET, opened in 1100. Oxford Street. Quarter Gill. Stations Schools. RENFIELD STREET and RENFREW STREET. It was previously known as the Cow Lone. When Richard Oswald of Auchencruive died in 1784, he left his great estates in Ayrshire—one of the finest possessions in the West of Scotland—to his nephew, George Oswald of Scotstoun, but by arrangement they were transferred to the latter's son, Richard Alexander Oswald, who opened another chapter in the family history by becoming Member of Parliament for the county. Learn from the past with this Glasgow slave trade trail. All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. google_color_text = "304625"; This is evidently manufactured, as "mon gah" is pure Norse. A gentleman in a dignified pose. Plantation. Sir Andrew Orr, who was Provost in 1854, had a considerable monetary interest in this street, and he tried to boom it, but it would not work, being too far west at that time for high-class shops.

Sri Lankan Dinner Menu, Bedford Public Schools 2020-2021 Calendar, Star Trek Fleet Command Faction Ships, How Many Sainsbury's Stores In Uk 2020, City Of Reedley Jobs, Thermodynamics Virtual Lab, Semi Government Organization In Bangladesh,

Geef een reactie

Het e-mailadres wordt niet gepubliceerd. Verplichte velden zijn gemarkeerd met *